I have been asked by a reader about the proofs for the Tallman Paradigm of right-ear-driven left-brain dominance in the integrative processes of the cerebral hemispheres.
I. Part of the proof lies in my scholarship: my honesty, the dependability of my resources, and the quality of my reasoning and precision in use of language. As my observations and application of some others’ research is ground-breaking, the reader may want to consult those sources; my work is fully footnoted and my book contains a bibliography and index.
II. My paradigm is scientific, which means it is replicable. Some of my results have been replicated in the experience of other people.
III. I offer new, rational, scientific definitions of formerly mysterious patterns of behaviour as schizophrenia and schizophreniform illnesses and dyslexic syndrome. I show that they are phases on a continuous spectrum of middle and inner ear function and dysfunction that supports or fails to support the dominance of the left hemisphere of the brain.
IV. My work meshes seamlessly with the scientific discoveries of Tomatis (but not of his psychiatric speculations) and with the work of Guy Bérard. I have opened the door to further accurate calibration of mental conditions as audio-processing deficits that can be healed just as Bérard recognized the degrees of depression and healed over 97% of his depressed patients.
V. I offer many different kinds of proof of my paradigm:observations of Daniel’s language, behavior, and reports of his perceptions; offering a better, simpler explanation for aspects of human behavior than other experts; and showing how my paradigm fits perfectly with the discoveries of other researchers such as psychologists and neurologists. Here are some of them:
(1) My observations of our son over his lifetime, including his dyslexia and remarkable healing by the Tomatis Methos from that supposedly incurable condition that ties in with several books reporting successful healing by means of the Tomatis Method and Bérard AIT.
(2) My observation of the healings of three members of my family from chronic fatigue syndrome using the Tomatis Method, pall of whom relapsed to some extent and recovered again using simpler forms of music therapy.
(2) My observations of aspects of Daniel’s behavior during psychosis that no one could explain to me and my finding a neurological explanation for my observations that fits with, corrects, and expands medical knowledge.
(3) My learning to titrate Daniel’s medication to lower dosages over the first three years of his schizophrenia. Then, finding my learning about reduced medication for Daniel was confirmed in research done later by doctors in a Victoria, B.C., hospital who found against the higher dosages of Risperdal recommended by the manufacturer and recommended much lower doses. That research study later was suppressed on-line.
(4) Daniel’s feeling that the onset of psychosis was the same as being dyslexic. He recognized the similarities between those conditions within his own consciousness and acknowledged the dyslexia level of illness was much milder than schizophrenia.
(5) Daniel’s reaching out for a treatment similar to the one that healed his dyslexia that proved to be a successful means of healing his schizophrenia. Two of Daniel’s healings from months-long episodes of schizophrenia prove my theory and prove the means of healing based on that theory. I show how the array of dyslexic syndrome symptoms that are widely recognized are minor versions of the extreme symptoms of schizophrenia that are medically recognized but less well known by the general public.
(6) My discovery and correcting of Tomatis’s error about “volition” being operative in autism and adult mental illness. His neurological anatomy applied to my unique observations of psychosis (the four-mnute cycle of cognition) show volition is physiologically impossible in psychosis — i.e, in autism and schizophrenia — and in all mental illness.
(6) My analysis of Daniel’s changing language patterns in psychosis show how they reflect the activity of the two halves of his brain at low integration speeds and become more rational with increasing integration speeds.
(7) Daniel’s artwork not only records improved levels of cerebral integration over the 11 months of his recovery in 2008 but demonstrate parallels to the normal maturation process of increasing left-brain dominance in normal children.
(8) I refute the leading theory of schizophrenia offered by top psychiatrists in the UK by showing not only its inadequacy for explaining behaviour but the flaws in their thinking of the psychiatrists who wrote it.
(9) I critique the neurological explanations of audiologists who do not understand the concept of cerebral dominance and show their studies reveal ignorance of aspects of the neurology affected by the ears.
(10) I show the connection between the treatment and results obtained with music that connect contemporary healing with music therapy to the instances of healing with music recounted during thousands of years of human history. This connection gives a scientific explanation of relationships between the ear, music, and mood that applies cross-culturally and back in time to prehistoric humans.
(11) My paradigm illuminates flaws in the thinking and flaws and limitations in the research of a number of doctors of psychiatry, psychology, or neurology who have published their fallacious theories of memory, of states of consciousness, of the causes of schizophrenia, etc.
(12) My description and diagram of the performance of the eyes during the right-brain phase of alternating dominance explains visual hallucinations (in Hemispheric Integration and the Ears) and would persuade most naysayers of the validity of my paradigm if it were my only discovery.
I invite you to assess the Tallman Paradigm in any of my publications at: http://www.northernlightbooks.ca